Church of the Living God
Bible Study Lesson
Presenter: Overseer Ennis F. Tait
February 12, 2014
Series: Spiritual Warfare
Reference Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-12
Today’s Discussion: “The Dangers of Becoming Overwhelmed”
What happens when the light overcomes the darkness? It creates a shadow. (
St. John 1:4-5; Romans 12:21; Luke 11:21-22)
Jesus speaks power to the believer in John 16:33 to encourage him/her in their
Christian walk, work and warfare: (Read St. John 16:33)
· Tribulation – [thlip’-sis]; pressure; to crowd
· Overcome – [nik-ah-o] – to subdue; conquest; the means of success (victory)
This verse serves as the premise for all the soldiers of God and their confidence in HIM. (Psalms 23:1-4; Daniel 3:17)
The lesson aim is to warn believers of the impending dangers of spiritual warfare. More importantly, we must be aware of the traps and temptations the enemy has and continues to use against the church “to deprive us of heavenly blessings and to obstruct our communion with heaven”.
The Apostle Paul summarizes the Christian struggle in three verses. Paul’s words of exhortation are both warnings and encouragement. Paul’s experience with the works of Satan gives him the credibility he needs to challenge the believers in the walk of faith. Paul challenges the believer to “stand your ground” and fight the enemy. But not according to the flesh, but in the spirit. (Read Romans 8:1; II Corinthians 10:3)
So, here are the facts:
· Satan is a spiritual enemy with a real agenda (John 10:10; I Peter 5:8)
· We, the believers, are weak against the devil without the strength of Christ (verse 10)
· We, the believers, are helpless against the stratagems of the devil without the power of God (verse 11)
· Spiritual warfare is part of the Christian journey to maturity (II Corinthians 10:4)
· We, the believers, cannot resist the temptations of the flesh if we walk outside the will and purpose of God for our lives (James 4:7)
The most important point in Paul’s message to the church is to stand. If we allow the pressures of life to overwhelm us, we become vulnerable to the works of the flesh. The flesh is very dangerous. The flesh will cause us to step out of spiritual character and commit sins or acts of wickedness that we never knew existed.
Remember the words of this great apostle recorded in Ephesians 5:15-17!